Paradox of Perfection

The paradox of perfection—that imperfection is perfect—applies not only to human affairs, but to technology. Thus, irregularity in semiconductorcrystals (an imperfection, in the form of contaminants) is requisite for the production of semiconductors. Wikipedia

Monday, January 11, 2021

The abusive god we love to talk about

One time I made a mistake and my dad took away someone I really care about. I do not know if I will ever see her again. Another time, my dad broke my arm, so that I would learn to be patient. He often puts me in dangerous situations, so that I can learn to trust him more. For example, I have to walk in a dark parking lot after work. But it is the job my dad wants me in, so I have to trust him. He gave me this virus so that I can learn something, but I am still trying to figure out what that is. He forgives me when I do wrong, but he is constantly pointing out what I do wrong and always reminds me about what I did. One time I had a job that I really liked, but my dad made me get fired so that I would have to find another. 

When I write it down, it seems like I have an abusive dad. At least he is in control.

But it isn't really my dad. My actual dad, Rev. Larry Harshman, is not like this at all. All of you who know him know that he is kind, loving, and doesn't have a controlling bone in his body. He has always been a great listener and is quite open minded about new ideas and learning and growing. He is a peacemaker and a bridgebuilder. He is an example of what it means to live like Jesus. 

However, that paragraph is just some of the many ways I have heard people say when they describe the things God is doing in their life. Is their god really that hateful? Abusive? Controlling? If so, I want nothing to do with that god. 

Do we really think God is like that?

Jesus said, 

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 
John 16:33 NLT 

And we see many more that describe God's love (here are just a few):

1 John 4:16 NRSV

So we have known and believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them.

 Isaiah 54:10 NIV

10 Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

Romans 8:38-39 NRSV

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


We need to discover again what the Bible actually says about God, so that are minds, hearts, and our language reflects the God who is love. 

Too often our words reflect what our hearts really desire: power and control. Too often, we have been discipled to a god of power and greed, rather than to the God of love.

May the words we use reflect the amazing, never ending Love of God.


For Further Reading: 



I will be reviewing the book, "Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation" by Kristin Kobes Du Mez in a future blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Glory of God is Humility (and what that means for Christians)

What does it mean to glorify God? What is God's glory? We see a glimpse of God's glory in the birth of Jesus.  Luke 2:8 (NSRV) In th...